Wednesday, January 1, 2014

the Next Big Thing

It's remarkable the we get so many chances to reflect and start over. In fact it is an inherent quality in humans. Socrates is quoted as saying "the unexamined life is not worth living." So here again, we are at the beginning of a new year, thinking about what we did last year, and how we can improve this year. 

I have spent the last few weeks reflecting, deciding what I wanted to write about, and how I want to live this year. Turns out, while I had a year filled with blessings and good things, it was actually pretty mediocre. It's almost as if I've been on auto-pilot. I'm a little bored, overly distracted by electronics and social networking and in a lot of ways just kind of unmoored. So here is my obligatory list of ways I want to improve, ending with my Next Big Thing.

I have GOT to get in better shape. It's really not something I need to keep fooling around with. I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes, but I have recently had some blood sugar scares. I don't want to be sick. And changing that is all in my hands. I have some great new ideas for getting in shape this year, and I will post more if the initial plan is approved. 

I need to produce more at work. I haven't had any kind of Big Idea, fun program, club or anything that has really stood out at work and possessed me to the point of obsession. (I know, but I live for the adrenaline.) I believe part of the reason is because I spend too much time worrying about Facebook. I think it is stunting my growth. Really. So I plan to spend less time on Facebook. Ya'll don't really want my opinion on gay marriage, religion or teacher pay. Not really. So I am going to spare you. I plan to fill in the time reading professional articles and blogs, writing better lesson plans and spending more time with my son. Oh, but you can still find plenty of photos of the little guy on Instagram. You can find me at violanders. 

And now for The Next Big Thing:

First read this, it's from a post I made on September 28th.
 Then there is religion. I'm trying to come to grips with religion. I want to bring my son up in a caring, responsible way, and I want him to find God of his understanding without having to crawl into the bottom of a bottle. The only way I know how to do that is by sending him to a local church and setting a good example for him. So I find myself once again at a crossroads of whether or not to attend church and what I hope to gain from that.
This is what I'm thinking. I want Sunshine to identify strongly with his community, and I want to be a permanent part of a community.I want to do good works. I would love to be part of missions, particularly to serve the poor or mentally ill. I want to be part of a group of people that are trying to live the best life they can by exemplifying the teachings of Christ. I want to learn how to lead a better life and develop the kind of relationship I had with God when I went to AA. I want to be a good example fro my son.I do want to sing loudly and joyously.
I don't want to be put into a box where there is only one way to believe and one way to get to heaven. I don't want to be judged because my religious and political views are a little different, my personality is a little odd and my clothes look a little funny. I don't want to feel nervous or pressured.


I think I may have found the church I was looking for. I have been visiting since about mid October, and I plan to start new member classes on Sunday. So this year, I want to focus on my spiritual growth.I plan to spend a good bit of time learning to pray, meditate and discover what it means to be a Follower of Christ. I hope ya'll will take the journey with me by reading and commenting on my posts and supporting me through your prayers and love. 

Happy New Year!!


No comments:

Post a Comment